- Jacob has turned himself around
- He gets a new name from God
- He is reconciled to his brother.
- Hard turn of events as a story is added here
The blessing going to the firstborn
We are going to see why the line of Jesus is transferred to the fourth born son Judah
- Sleeps with Bilhah Genesis 35: 22
- Cursed is everyone who sleeps with his father’s wife. Deuteronomy 22: 30
2. Dinah Goes out
- Rape can be an incredible subject here and I am not trying to belittle it.
- We want to see the results of what is happening here and why this is in the Bible in the first place.
- Hard to face what is happening here after all he reconciliation that has happened in the previous chapters.
- Dinah goes out and leaves the family
- Book of Jubilees She left the family
- She was only twelve at the time
- She will eventually be given as the wife of Job.
- What we do know
- She was the daughter of Leah Vs 1
- She is raped by Shechem
- He falls in love with her and wants her for his wife
- Or he likes the money of her family and wants that instead.
3. The Story.
- Hamor goes to Jacob and bargains for the daughter.
- Jacob doesn’t respond until the brothers return from the fields. Vs 6
- The brothers return and are grieved when they hear what happened
- They make a bargain for their sister.
- Later they come and kill all the residents of the city
- When Jacob confronts them they defend their sister.
- No real resolution about who is right.
4. The Meeting
- Give your daughter to us and let there be a treaty 34: 11
- Echos Jacob and Laban Genesis 29: 18
- Sons came and met with Hamor and Sheckem Vs 13
- They speak deceitfully to them. Vs 13
- Where have we heard this before?
- Laban deceived Jacob, Genesis 29: 25
- Jacob deceived his father. Genesis 27: 35
- They are replaying their father’s behavior
- After they kill all the men of Sheckem they are confronted by their father.
- We can’t do that thing to our daughter Vs 14
- Laban to Jacob that kind of thing is not done here. Genesis 29: 26
- What Laban did to Jacob, the sons are doing to Sheckem.
5. Out of Favor
- Once again we see how people react when they are out of the favorite position
- Dinah is the daughter of Leah, (The unfavored wife)
- Jacob does nothing to defend his daughter when she is attacked.
- The next person to act in this story is Hamor Vs 8
- Hamor spoke with them. Putting Jacob and his sons on the same level. Vs 8
- Simeon and Levi answer instead of Jacob. Vs 14
- Go with the deal or we will take our daughter and leave. Vs 17
- They defend our daughter instead of Jacob’s daughter
- This is not how our sister should be treated. Vs 31
6. Dealing with favoritism
- Jacob should have know better than to pick favorites because he was a victim
- Not favorite so he deceived to get what he wanted.
- When we are not in favor, we deceive to get that favor.
- She is not your daughter enough for you o act. (This is the perspective of the brothers)
- When we are not in favor, we deceive to get what we want. James 4: 1 – 5
- We are in the time of God’s favor today Luke 4: 18, 19
- No real resolution to this story because it is for us to figure out
- How to deal with being favorite
- How to deal with being the unfavorite
- This story is still not over as Joseph (the favorite) deals with his brothers.