1.Meet me in Galilee
Luke 24: 28, 29 He pretended to go on,
Where was he going?
Matthew 26: 32 “But after I have been raised from the dead, I will go ahead of you to Galilee and meet you there.”
Matthew 28: 10 “Then Jesus said to them, ‘Don’t be afraid! Go tell my brothers to leave for Galilee, and they will see me there.’”
He wanted to meet them in Galilee
2. What is Galilee
Where and many of the disciples grew up.
- Surrounded by Gentile nations
- Language is lazy and careless (Speech betrayed Peter at the trial of Jesus Mark 14: 70)
- Place of rebellion
- When Jesus was 8 – 10 Judas broke into the arsenal of Herod in a city called Sepphoris.
- They rebelled against Rome
- 2000 men crucified, women and children sold into slavery
- City burned to the ground.
- 4 miles from where Jesus grew up so it would have an impression on a young man.
- Pilate killed the Galileans when they came to make a sacrifice. (Luke 13: 1 – 3) Jesus may have known some of them.
- Far from Jerusalem- religious center Rome – political center, Athens – cultural center.
3.Why go there?
If you want to ruin a person give them two visions.
- Tomb they could have hung out in arguing about Jesus resurrection
- challenged those searching for the body or the guards who said the body was stolen.
- Resurrected people in Jerusalem.
- Revenge against Rome, Herod, Caiaphas.
Jesus wanted to remove them from the distractions so he could refocus them.
We have got to get out and tell everyone you are alive. Come back to Jerusalem with us and show yourself.
Jesus spent a lot of the 40 days after his resurrection in Galilee, that remote out of the place land.
In the Mundane days it is important that we remember who God is and who we are.
EXAMPLE: Coins for days that pass away, now it can also mean people who are the outcast of the rest of society. Jesus wanted to spend this time with them to refocus them .
Matthew 28: 16 They worshipped him.
Satisfied with who you are in Christ.
EXAMPLE: Saul and thousands, David ten thousands.
Important to remember, With God there are no unimportant days or people.
One more powerful point
Jesus had ascended and the disciples were looking up to heaven.
Acts 1: 10, 11 As they strained to see him rising into heaven, two white-robed men suddenly stood among them. MEN of GALILEE they said, why are you standing here staring into heaven? Jesus has been taken from you into heaven, but someday he will return from heaven in the same way you saw him go.