When talking about spiritual gifts it is important to know that they are for today
Let’s look at some arguments about why spiritual gifts are not for today.
1. The gifts will fade away when the perfect comes. 1 Corinthians 13: 8-10
1. The spiritual gifts will always be done in imperfection because humans are imperfect.
1. This is why it is better to say I feel or I am impressed to say rather than “Thus says the Lord”. We may be wrong.
2. Isn’t the perfect the cannon of scripture?
1. Paul did not know he was writing the bible at the time. He was just writing a letter answering questions.
1. Paul did not even know that there was going to be a New Testament.
- The perfect is defined for us in verse 10. “We shall see Him face to face” again don’t base everything on one verse and put it in context.
- Perfect = teleios. Full grown. Mature
Ephesians 4:13 till we all come to the unity of the faith and of the knowledge of the Son of God to a perfect man to the measure of the fullness of Christ
4. 1 Corinthians 1:7,8 so that you will fall short of no spiritual gift waiting for the revelation of of our lord Jesus Christ. (Can you imagine waking up one day after the last apostle died and suddenly there are no more spiritual gifts working? )
1. These two verses tend to lead to the thought that the perfect is seeing Jesus face to face.
2. Present day tongues are revelation and we do not need any more revelation seeing scripture is closed.
1. There are different revelations that are a part of the bible and not on the same level as the bible. (See 1 Corinthians 14:26)
3. Some say the Bible only talks about spiritual gifts in the early books and not the later books so they knew that they were going to fade away.
1. Instruction give for new questions that are arising.
- I John speaks of a spirit of the spirit of antichrist that is creeping into the church. Paul does not mention this in Corinthians
- 2 Timothy 4:20 mentions Trophimus was left sick because gifts stopped, but not everyone prayed for is healed
- There is so much misuse, they must not be true.
- The misuse must imply their existence.
- There is misuse and abuse but people also witness wrong and we don’t quit just because of this.
- No spiritual gifts in the great awakening?
1. Book by Charles Finney on “Power from on High”
- Jesus the same yesterday today and forever Hebrews 13:8
- These miraculous signs will accompany those who believe. They will cast out demons, they will speak in new tongues,…they will lay hands on the sick and they will recover. Mark 16:17,18
There is no way this is comprehensive, but it does answer a few of the questions about spiritual g!ifts and their use today.
2. The Body is one, but still has many parts. vs 12 – 14
1. We only have a part of what God is doing in the world. Vs 12! 1. IHOP are prayer and worship
- Morningstar ministries prophetic
- Jews for Jesus evangelizing Jewish people
- We all have our part to play in completing the body of Christ
2. We all share the same spirit Vs 13
1. We are all receiving a different manifestation of the Holy Spirit and we need to move in that manifestation
3!. This body constitutes many parts Vs 14
3!. Practical Application of the imagery of the Body
1. Does the foot disclaim the eye because they function differently?
1. It can ruin the body when we strive to be something we are not
- Rhetorical questions. Vs 17 the body needs all of its parts.
- It is God’s design that we would be different. Vs 18
- If we were all alike we would have a monstrosity not a body Vs 19
- We need each other Vs 21
1. We can look down on others because of the spiritual gifts that are manifest through us.
1. This was part of the pride that was manifest through their communion services.
2. It is a physical impossibility to try and strive on your own
1. EXAMPLE: people who love God but hate church. You don’t manifest every gift and you steal from others what you could give them.
- Parts that seem weaker are actually indispensable Vs 22
- They only appear to be weaker
- Weakness has no impact on value
- Appearances are deceptive
- Paul is talking about sexuality and covering parts Vs 23 – 25
- If one part suffers we all suffer. Vs 26
1. Diversity is necessary and it is God’s plan. Unity is mandated.