Being filled not a one time event but be int he process of being filled with the Holy Spirit.
Today is Pentecost Sunday. A feast when the Holy Spirit was poured out upon the 120 birthing the church.
Acts 1: 8 but you will receive power when the Holy Spirit comes upon you. And you will be my witnesses telling people everywhere–in Jerusalem, throughout Judea, in Samaria, and to the ends of the earth.
What does that look like?
- IN EPHESUS
Acts 18: 24 Apollos was an eloquent speaker who taught about Jesus with an enthusiastic spirit
- Only knew about John’s baptism Vs 25
- Priscilla and Aquila heard him speaking and pulled him aside teaching him even more accurately.
- Apollos goes to Corinth and becomes a pillar in the church there. It doesn’t tell us what the more accurate teaching that Priscilla and Aquila taught him, but we do have a hint in the next chapter.
- Paul shows up in Acts 19 and runs into 12 men who knew about John’s baptism? From Apollos? Teaches them about the baptism of the Holy Spirit.
- Acts 19: 6 laid hands on them and the Holy Spirit comes upon them and they are filled with the Holy Spirit and speak in other tongues.
Difference between enthusiastic teaching and the power of the Holy Spirit
- There were twelve believers with Apollos
- Unusual miracles with napkins that touched Paul healed people Vs 12
- People who cast out demons come to Ephesus and their false teaching does not fly here as the demon attacks them
- So many people changed by the power of God they burn all of their witchcraft books worth several million dollars.
- Word of God spreads widely and had a powerful effect.
The Bible is not having a powerful effect on society today even though there are churches on every street corner
II. THE POWER COMES
ACTS 1; 4 Don’t leave Jerusalem until the Father sends you the gift he promised.
- Didn’t stay in the upper room but ran into the streets
- Didn’t give tours of the upper room to tourists
- Didn’t hold services in the upper room every night until midnight
- biggest effect of the Holy Spirit is in Acts 3: 1 They went to the 3:00 prayer. They went on with their lives.
- Ephesians 5 says be filled with the Holy Spirit, then it tells us how to be incredible husbands and wives, how to be great children, and super parents, How to be bosses and work and how to work under those who may not be believers.
The Holy Spirit was given so we can go on with life, but with a difference.
2 – 4 man calling out then asked to look at them.
This man is an eternal being who needs help.
- RISK WAS TAKEN TO REACH OUT TO THIS PERSON.
EXAMPLE: Francis Chan Elijah and fire down asking God what is the difference? He was before 450 men ready to kill him, you are at a christian concert.
- WHEN WAS THE LAST TIME WE TOOK A RISK FOR GOD?
III. TIMES DON’T CHANGE
ACTS 4 government came down with a law that went directly against the beliefs of the church. (SHUT UP AND DON’T SHARE THE GOSPEL)
- Went to prayer Vs 27
- Leadership and country united against Jesus Vs 27
- ANSWER: give your servants great boldness in preaching your word.
- Filled with the Holy Ghost and spoke word with boldness
Ephesians 5: 18 Make the most of every opportunity in these evil days. Be filled with the Holy Spirit.