Ephesians 4: 17 – 24 defines two mindsets. The Gentile mindset which is defined as:
- In Darkness
- Far from God
- Closed Minded
- No Sense of Shame
The Born again mindset is defined as one who knows the truth about Jesus and throws off the old clothing so they can be clothed with Jesus.
Ephesians 4: 25 So…
What we do with the word “So” determines our destinies.
Three thoughts about how we deal with the clash of cultures that we experience today.
1. Know you are from a different country.
jEXAMPLE: I was born in Canada, but my life is consumed with life here in America. This is because I pour my time, money and thoughts into this life.
In the same way, I must know that America is not my home, it is just a place I live. My kingdom is in heaven and I must adjust my thinking to be consumed with that land.
1 Peter 2: 11, 12 Dear friends, I urge you, as aliens and strangers in the world, to abstain from sinful desires,which war against your soul. 12 Live such good lives among the pagans that, though they accuse you of doing wrong, they may see your good deeds and glorify God on the day he visits us.
2. I am not called to judge this country
The major problems in the world are not Homosexual marriage
People of other political beliefs
I am not called to judge those outside the church but this can happen when we start to measure the severity of sins
3. We measure sin
Ephesians 4: 1 Live a life worthy of the calling.
The problems that Paul talks about int he church are just as important to God as those outside.
- words used in talking to each other
- Greed which will stop us from inheriting eternal life
- Not carefully finding out what pleases the Lord
These things will:
- Give the devil a foothold Vs 27
- Grieve the Holy Spirit Vs 30
- Stop us from inheriting eternal life. 5: 5
I need to hate the very flesh stained by corrupted flesh Jude 1: 23
Two problems develop.
- We ignore the stains in our clothes
- We carry around the stains that have been forgiven years ago
THERE IS GRACE ENOUGH TO CLEANSE US
Ephesians 5: 18 Be filled with the Holy Spirit
There are things we can do to apply this to our lives.