2 weeks ago I shared a concept on the thought of “In Medias Res” = starting in the middle.
- Movie term for we are in the middle
- Starting point; God intended to adopt us through the death of Jesus
- Ending: All things under His control and Him reigning over everything
We are going to continue to look at the book of Ephesians 1 starting at verse 13
1. Deposit Guaranteeing our inheritance
You are identified with the promise of the Holy Spirit
- Promised by Jesus John 7: 38 If you believe in me out of your innermost being shall flow rivers of living water (Holy Spirit)
- God has purchased us with His blood Acts 20: 28
Sealed with the Holy Spirit
- Ownership 2 Timothy 2: 19 The Lord knows those who are His.
- Security Ephesians 4: 30 Don’t bring sorrow to the Holy Spirit by the way you live, Remember, he has identified you as His own, guaranteeing that you will be saved on the day of redemption Caution money paid in earnest of our inheritance.
Response on our part praise and glorify Him (give a clear picture of who God is to those around us.)
Vs 15, 16 Paul’s admonition why I am doing this series. Because you know who you are in Christ, you live a life of love with those around you
2. Two Core Values of HTC
We have arrows of core values which show what is important to how we operate as a church. Two of those are
- Relationship with God
- Relationship with each other
Vs 17 starts with the pursuit of the knowledge of who God is.
This is why we are spending time on Ephesians. First three chapters spend time on knowing who we are in Christ and the next 3 show us how to live that out in all of our relationships.
“How do we turn our knowledge about God into a knowledge of God?”
3. Eyes of heart opened up
Paul is praying that the Ephesians would have this incredible insight into the glory of God.
Come from glorious father.
There are two words for glory in the Bible 1) Shekinah and 2) Doxa The second word is used here
Glory = DOXA= reflection of who God is = moon reflects the sun
Paul is praying that the Glorious God would give you understanding.
- There is a difference between seeing and understanding. We can watch something and not understand what is happening.
- Understanding comes from listening carefully (Meditation)
- Understanding will come at a proper time.
Paul says that he is praying that our understanding would increase in three areas
- Hope to which we are called
- Inheritance that is ours
- Power that is at work within us
4. Hope and Inheritance
These have to do with our past and our future.
Hope = God planned for us to be adopted into His family from the beginning
Inheritance = we have a future when Christ comes and rules over everything.
bible defines Hope as:
- Anchor for our lives (Hebrews 6: 19)
- It is a living hope (1 Peter 1: 3)
- Gives vitality to the soul
- Breathe among the living
- Influences character as we reflect the Doxa of God
1 Peter 1: 13 (Be Holy) Therefore, prepare your minds for action; be self-controlled; set you hope fully on the grace to be given you when Jesus Christ is revealed.
Hope and Inheritance have to do with the past and future, but power is for us today.
Vs 20 Power that raised Christ from the dead.
- Quicken your mortal bodies. Romans 8: 11
- Increase of life
- Restore to life
- Able to bear young (Your life will become evident in the lives of others)
- Raised with Jesus 2 Corinthians 4: 14
- Seated with Him TODAY!!!!!
Vs 21 Far above any ruler or authority.
The power available through the Holy Spirit is greater than any problem today, in the past, and in the future.
Christ did this for the church. Common theme in Ephesians.
Be filled with the fulness of God (function in sphere God has placed you.)