A Study of 1 John
1. Jesus Defined
Vs 1 – 4 these words are repeated in the gospel of John. John is proclaiming that…
- Jesus is God
- He always was God
- He lived among us
- He is eternal life, not the path to eternal life.
2. Jesus has a message for us.
Vs 5, 6
God is light and there is no darkness in Him at all
- God does not hide Himself
- There is no fault in Him
To have fellowship with God, we need to walk in the light.
- This destroys the fact that we can come to God and have fellowship with Him on easy terms.
- There is an unbreakable marriage between God and ethics.
- We are lying to ourselves if we claim to have fellowship with God and continually live in spiritual darkness
- Our knowledge far outweighs our obedience.
Results of walking in the light
- Fellowship with each other
- Blood of Jesus cleanses us from all sin.
3. How does the Blood cleanse us?
Vs 8, 9 Sin is a self centered life
Faithful = remember you sin no more
Just = Price for sin has been paid by the blood of Jesus.
Vs 10 If we claim we have not sinned or if we do not continue to fall short, we are lying
2: 1, 2 Don’t sin, but if you do.
This deals with two aspects of people and sin
- Too lenient on ourselves
- Too hard on ourselves
We have an advocate who comes along side and doesn’t run from us.
Why is this important.
“You are witnesses and God also, how devoutly and justly and blamelessly we behaved ourselves among you who believe 2 Thessalonians 2: 10
Paul lived blameless in front of the Thessalonians and he had a powerful testimony. We are called to do the same.