We want to continue our look at the subject of HIStory and how Jesus’ life intersects with other lives to change history. This morning we are going to look at the subject of the Kingdom of God. It is preached throughout the New Testament and we are going to be focusing on it the next couple of weeks. It was the first message that was preached by a number of people in the New Testament.
- Very First Message
- John the Baptist Message Matthew 3; 2 Repent of your sins and turn to God for the Kingdom of heaven is near
- Jesus Message Mark 1: 15 The Kingdom of God is near! Repent of your sins and believe the Good news.
- Disciples early in their ministry Matthew 10: 7 Announce to them the kingdom of heaven is near.
- Matthew joined them the chapter before and already he is being sent out to preach the kingdom of God is near.
- When this message of the kingdom is preached through the whole world, the end will come (See Matthew 24: 14)
Kingdom of God is not just going to heaven.
That is a great hope in dark times, but when overwhelmed here, “Well I’ll be in heaven someday so just hold on.
Matthew 6: 10 Your kingdom come, your will be done…..(Where?) here on earth as it is in heaven.
2. Kingdom can’t be seen through eyes.
- Militant Muslims killing christians to bring in the kingdom of god.
- Christians killing Jewish people during crusades
- Fighting among Baptist and Pentecostals over doctrine
- All this done in the name of the kingdom of God
- Leaving despair, resentment, bitterness, all in the name of serving God.
Luke 17: 20 – 21 “The Kingdom of God can’t be detected by visible signs. You won’t be able to say Here it is or It’s over there! For the Kingdom of God is within you.”
God’s kingdom is not about taking over, but about setting up his kingdom in the hearts of people.
Paul stated that the kingdom of God was not about a lot of rules and regulations, but… Righteousness, Peace and joy in the Holy Spirit. (See Romans 14: 17)
In a world that is quickly slipping in chaos, Righteousness, peace and joy int he Holy Spirit are going to stick out in increasing wonder.
What does this look like?
It is internal characteristics that are going to show the Kingdom of God.
Righteousness = Right Living
Does not mean quit doing all the bad stuff and start doing good stuff. (Paul just said the kingdom of God is not about what we eat and drink)
John 3: 3 I tell you the truth, unless you are born again, you cannot see the Kingdom of God.
Why we pray your kingdom come here.
Not about us reaching up to heaven, but accepting God’s sonship because of his work on the cross.
Not meditation and getting things in order through peace of mind. It goes much deeper than that.
- Assurance of salvation
- Fear nothing from God
- Contentment with earthly lot.
This is counter culture.
More than just happiness.
Knowing you are one’s joy. Joy in the Holy Spirit.
6. Preach the kingdom
Jesus sending out the disciples with the same message John and He started their message.
Kingdom of God is near.
Worst motivational speech ever
- People hate you because of this message
- Run for your lives.
- Love anything more than this message not worthy of the message.
- Everything will be exposed one day.
- Sending you out like sheep among wolves.
- So don’t be afraid little flock. For it gives your Father great happiness to give you the Kingdom.Luke 12: 32