You know I love history but the reason that I enjoy it so much is the fact that there are so many times bizarre decisions are made by leaders or circumstances happen both changing the outcome of events. I credit these to God’s hand of providence as he will accomplish what he wants through the history of mankind. We want to look at that story of Jesus throughout history which we will call HIStory.
1. Jesus History
Luke 3: 23 – 38 Names 15 verses of names. Genealogy of Mary the mother of Jesus ( it says the story of Joseph, but it is using the surname of Joseph. This would be like saying my wive’s family line yet using the Buckman name which is the one she married into.)
- Know Verse 32 and the people involved
- Know Verse 34 and those people
- Know 36 b – 37 know those people too.
- Know Seth and Adam
- Verse 25 Mathias had a son and named him Joseph
- Hopes Mathias had for Joseph
- Joy or disappoint me brought to his life
- Nights he could sleep because of something happening.
- Did Grandpa Amos ever know him.
- Back to names I do know, Jacob to be killed by brother Esau, Mother, father both said you are going to die and you need to run now. If he would have been killed, Jesus would not be here.
- Just as important is Mathias, if he would not have had a son, we would not have Jesus.
This is history, but it is also His Story.
Life was lived with hopes and dreams, but it was something more than just one small life that had no influence not hose that followed. There was an bigger picture that was happening to bring about the one who would bring salvation to all of our lives which was decided when God created Adam and he had a son he named SETH
2. The Middle of the story.
Colossians 1: 15 – 20
- Vs 15 Visible image of the Invisible God (1 Timothy 6: 16 lives in unapproachable light)
- Vs 16 He made everything Everything we see and everything we can’t see
- Vs 17 Holds all creation together
- Vs 20 Reconciled everything to himself and made peace with everything in heaven and on earth.
- Did this through his blood on the cross.
- Kingdoms and names will confess that Jesus Christ is Lord Philippians 2: 10, 11
HIS STORY IS ABOUT JESUS THE ONE WHO MADE EVERYTHING COMING TO RESTORE THE WORLD TO HIMSELF AND SET UP HIS KINGDOM FOREVER.
3. WHEAT COMING TO MATURITY
WE too often live like we are part two of a three part epic movie, what is the purpose? I know all of this is going to happen, but like Mathias raising Joseph, Jesus birth seems so far away, how important am I to this plan?
- Good Seed is Jesus (Grain of wheat dies it produces a new crop)
- Vs 25 enemy plants weeds (Darnel or black wheat)
- Was not noticed until it started to grow and mature
EXAMPLE: Separation between Christian and non christian. Oklahoma with a proposed monument to satan, flood of pornography, 40 percent of children born to single moms. The difference between good and evil is becoming more prevalent and we are maturing.
4. VS 29 Can’t be pulled up because our roots have become intermingled.
MATTHEW 24: 12 Sin will be rampant everywhere, and the love of many will grow cold.
ALRIGHT, GOD IS GOING TO SET UP HIS KINGDOM, SO DON’T GROW COLD AND HANG ON. RIGHT?
NOT QUITE THAT HOPELESS.
4. PETER ENCOUNTER
Luke 5 Jesus preaching and invites himself into Peter’s boat.
This is not the first encounter
- Brother Andrew was a follower of John the Baptist and when he saw Jesus he went and told his brother.
- Jesus came to his house and healed his mother-in-law
- Now he gives Peter an incredible harvest of fish.
Response Luke 5: 8 realized what had happened,fell on his knees “You need to go because I am too much of a sinful man to be here”
What am I suppose to do with all of this?
- you have touched my family
- My extended family
- My livelihood, what are you asking?
Paul I Corinthians 1: 9 God has invited you into partnership with his son, Jesus Christ our Lord.
Partnership = intimacy high fellowship, here and hereafter
You are going to see the glory of God.
Peter said it later in his letter, I saw it from heaven, I saw the glory of God of God and heard a voice. you can trust what I am saying.
FISH ARE NOTHING COMPARED TO WHAT I AM GOING TO DO.
KEY POINT; WE ARE NOT IN THE MIDDLE OF AN EPIC, WE ARE JUST AT THE BEGINNING.
Feeling during worship just the beginning of when you see me face to face.
Healing nothing when you get a new body
struggle in prayer, will have a mind that no longer wanders.
Mathias you keep raising Joseph, because through that line, I am coming to the earth and you are untouchable because I need you for that to happen.
You Wheat growing up with darnel struggling not to grow cold while intertwined with those around you. I have invited you, I will come to you, I have invited you to an epic conclusion and you are invited to see that as i unfold my story.
LIFE GROUP QUESTIONS
1. How do you feel about going to a movie or reading a book knowing it is just one of many and you many have to wait years for you to find out about the conclusion to the story? Do you wait for the last one to come out before you start reading or do you just dive in?
2. Look at the list of names in Luke 3. What goes through your mind to imagine that if any of them did not live or something happened to them, Jesus would not have been born.
3. We are involved in an epic story where God has created the world, it rejected His Lordship over it, and now he is brining it back into his rulership where he will rule forever. Pretty epic, but it can almost be overwhelming for us. How do we lose sight that something grand is happening in our lives?
4. Read Luke 5: 1 – 11 Remember this was not Peter’s first contact with Jesus. His brother Andrew was a follower of John the Baptist and brought Peter to Jesus. Jesus healed Peter’s mother in law, and now he brings a harvest of fish into Peter’s boat. Reread Vs 8. What was the reason for this response from Peter? Have you ever felt overwhelmed with what God is doing in your life good or bad? What was Jesus response to Peter?
5. Jesus invited him into fellowship with himself. They were amazed, but Jesus is saying you are amazed now? wait until you see what is ahead of you. We are not in the middle of an epic, we are just at the beginning. We will spend eternity following this call from Jesus.
6. Read 1 Corinthians 1: 9 God has invited you into partnership (NLT) partnership means high fellowship here and here after. We are called into fellowship with his and e part of His story that is unfolding in front of us. Let’s pray that that would become more important in our lives and direct our thoughts, lives, and actions.