We want to look at history that is made as Jesus interacts with people around him. The changes that happen in their lives change history and turn their lives into HIStory. This morning we want to look at Pilate.
1. Everyone has a worldview.
World View = way we think about and interpret things that are happening around us.
- It helps us determine what is logical and what is impossible as far as the events that are happening around us.
- Logical ones how we think through what has happened
- Impossible we dismiss them.
We are very seldom aware of the world view we are living in.
- It is not defined by what we say.
- What we try and believe.
- It is defined by what we do.
Bible Your eye is the lamp of your body. When your eye is healthy, your whole body is full of light, but when it is bad your body is full of darkness. Luke 11: 33 – 36
It doesn’t say that what we look at defines who we are, it say how we look at things, (our worldview) determines what is right or wrong according to us.
It is possible to have God right in front of our face and not see him because our world view doesn’t make room for Him.
EXAMPLE: John 12: 27 – 29 “Now is my soul troubled. And what shall I say? ‘Father save me from this hour?’ But for this purpose I have come to this hour. Father, glorify your name. ” Then a voice came from heaven: “I have glorified it, and I will glorify it again.” The crowd that stood there and heard it said that it had thundered. Others said, “An angel has spoken to him”
Proof in front of them and dismiss it according to their world view. Some heard a voice and others just heard thunder.
2. Jesus interacting with others and making HIStory.
Let’s look at Pilate and the incredible experiences happened in his life when he encountered Jesus.
- Wife had a dream that an innocent man would come in front of him and he needed to let him go. (One thing to have a dream, another to have it play out in front of you that next day)
- Conversation with Jesus.
- Are you a king? Are you asking or did someone tell you about me?
- Your own people hate you Kingdom not of this world.
- I have the power to kill you You have no power unless my Father gives it to you
- Then the most puzzling was his quietness during interrogation.
3. Jewish leaders said he was the Son of God and Pilate was terrified. Did he believe it?
4. Pilate is going to try and find a way to have Jesus released.
Not what we believe or say that determines our worldview.
It is what we do.
3. Center of Pilates worldview.
Jesus “I speak of the truth” Pilates refrain “, There is no truth.”
NO MATTER WHAT WAS PRESENTED IN FRONT OF PILATE, THATA WORLD VIEW DISMISSED EVERYTHING AND HE HAD JESUS CRUCIFIED.
4. KINGDOM IS HERE
Jesus started his ministry Mark 1: 14, 15 Now after John was arrested, Jesus came into Galilee, proclaiming the gospel of God, and saying, “The time is fulfilled, and the kingdom of God is at hand; repent and believe int he gospel.”
Repent is not quit doing all the bad stuff you have been doing.
- Think differently
- Change your mind.
- Change the focus of our thinking from a man centered world view to a God centered world view.
- Openness and humility
- Admit that I don’t see everything right.
- God change my thinking toward you.
Pilate thought he could do it himself by washing his own hands and saying I am innocent of this man’s blood, but int he end, he committed suicide.
Romans 11: 36 – 12: 1, 2 Focal point of our thinking, renew my mind and body that I might live a life of worship toward you