History of Memorial Day
1. Intrigue of why we fight
- Sense of duty
- honor to country
- prove oneself manly (courageous)
- From letters of soldiers duty and honor linked to masculinity.
2. Three Commands from the Bible
- Go Matthew 28: 19 Therefore go and make disciples of all nations.
- To go we have to pray for boldness (See Acts 4: 29 Oh Lord hear their threats and give your servant great boldness in preaching your word)
- Realize scattering helps spread the gospel (Acts 8: 1, 4) Through scattering they were able to preach)
- Ac ts 16: 9 Come to us
How do we share with someone who does not want to hear?
2 Corinthians 2: 14 – 17
- Triumphal procession
- Fragrance is for god
- Smells like death to those who are perishing
- Smells like life to those being saved
- We are not hucksters.
Just called to show the love of Christ.
- Rich man in hell (Luke 16: 27 Send Abraham and warn my 5 brothers so they don’t come to this place)
- Hell is real
- It is a place of torment (Revelation 20: 10)
- It is a place were people are headed
3. Jim Elliott
- Call from heaven GO
- Call from earth COME
- Call from the damned SEND
Key Point: We will have a memorial that will last an eternity