We at HTC need to be missional (focused) in the way we do ministry and Romans 8 tells us how we can do that.
To really understand Romans 8 we have to look at Romans 1 – 7 and see what got us to Romans 8
Man is defined as being totally corrupt.
- We have rejected God Romans 1: 21
- We have worshiped creation rather than the creator Vs 21
- Sexual perversion has resulted Vs 26, 27
- We are also guilty of other wrongdoings Vs 29 – 31
- Romans 5: 18 because of Adam’s one sin, condemnation came to everyone. Because of one man’s disobedience
- We are slaves and cannot change Romans 6: 16
- We live in shame and the things we do will lead to eternal doom (Romans 6: 21)
- The things we want to do we cannot do Romans 7: 18 – 20
Yet God tells us there is no condemnation for those who are in Christ (Romans 8: 1) how can this be?
- When we were utterly helpless, Christ came at just the right time and died for us sinners. (Romans 5: 6)
- What joy for those whose sins are forgiven (Romans 4: 7, 8)
- We receive this joy through the work of Jesus on the cross (Romans 3: 23 – 25)
- We are now friends of God (Romans 5: 11)
- The old life has passed away and we are a new creation 2 Corinthians 5: 17
Our minds must be renewed to know who we are in Christ because there is a difference between knowing and believing.
Romans 6: 11 you should also consider yourselves dead to the power of sin, but alive to God through Christ Jesus.
How can I live out being a new creation with no condemnation when the results of my failures are all around me?
Jeremiah 29: 10, 11 God has a plan to give us a hope and a future The word for future is the Hebrew word (TWOT) We receive this future by worry and delay or delay mixed with hope.
The children of Israel stayed in Babylon for 70 years until that generation was totally dead. Then a new generation was able to take the land. We will either die willingly or God will allow us to die in our despair and a new generation will be raised up to take the land.
Key Point: freedom from the past will make us missional