Jesus is the Way
The necessity of knowing who Jesus is to carry us through the situations that are in front of us.
- John 1: 14, 18 So the Word became human…and we have seen his glory the glory of the Father’s one and only Son…No one has ever seen God, but the unique One who is himself God…He has revealed God to us.
- John 14: 8, 9 Lord show us the Father, and we will be satisfied
- Isn’t that what The Father wants from his children? Just satisfied with Him
- Have I been with you all this time Philip and yet you still don’t know who I am? Anyone who has seen me has see the Father.
- KNOWING CHRIST IS KNOWING THE FATHER AND JESUS CAME TO SHOW US THE FATHER.
- Knowing the Way
Few verses earlier Thomas is asking the question about where he was going.
John 14: 6 I am the Way…
Christianity is really pretty simple.
- What do you want me to do?
- What do you want me to give up?
- Where do you want me to go?
- Jesus “It is all wrapped up in me, there is nothing outside of me.”
Jesus is not the path that we can get to God, He is the path that God has come down to us.
Way = Traveled path
- The Jesus being the way is not a path that we can follow to get to heaven now
- The only way we can even know the Father is because Jesus traveled a path to us.
- The Way is a path coming to us.
2. Narrow Path
Matthew 7: 13, 14
Always knew this is a lot of people going to hell and just a few going to heaven, but it is hard to get there.
Who is the Narrow path? Jesus
Anything we try to do outside of Jesus will just bring destruction into our lives. (Doesn’t mean I’m going to hell if I slip up)
We are always looking for a method to please God and come into his presence
- Weep and promise to do better next time
- Victory from some Bible verse and we try to apply it and follow it.
- Righteousness attained from do not handle do not taste do not touch. (Colossians 2: 21)
- Method of experiencing God by being in the woods with nothing but a bible. We try it and nothing happens. IT IS NOT THE METHOD IT IS THE ENCOUNTER.
this is why it is hard because we are always trying to add something to it.
We have to admit that we need a revelation of the way.
3. Nothing for the Journey
Thomas question, where are we going? (We Need to run the path marked out for us)
Mark 6: 8 Take nothing for the journey no food, no travelers bag no money.
Sermon on the Mount “Why do you worry about what you will eat and what you will wear?”
Constant tugging to get us away from trusting Christ as the Way.
Jesus literally sent them out with a forced trusting in me.
EXAMPLE: Sermons are not to show you keys to a better life or some nugget that leaves you intellectually stirred, but that we would get a revelation of who Jesus is.
4. Journey of Distractions
Starts with a declaration of Who Jesus is.
Mark 8: 27 – 30 On a path (nothing is by chance)
City is Caesar Philippi
Caesar is God
Philippi is King
Who Am I?
Peter You are the Christ. No one told you that, the Holy Spirit showed you that.
Same need, Holy Spirit, show us who Jesus is so we can walk the path. God rewards those who seek him
5. Following Christ
Philip Questioned Show us the Father, I am Him
Thomas What is the Way to walk?
1. What does the future hold as far as my family?
2. What does the future hold as far as my finances?
3. What does the future hold as far as my health?
I am the way and it is a path that has been travel already
Mark 10: 32 The disciples were walking down the Way. Fear and Awe