1 Corinthians 11: 25 In the same way, after supper he took the cup, saying, “This cup is the new covenant in my blood; do this, whenever you drink it, in remembrance of me.”
The blood of Jesus…
- victory over satan
1. Knowing where we are
If we are going on a trip, we need to know where we are if we are going to find directions to where we are going.
Gordon Anderson from college “Sin is the basic problem of the human race. It is being out of fellowship with God. It results in evil acts and the inability to act in accordance with the will of God. The wages of sin is death, eternal separation from God. This is called hell. It is fair and what sinners want.”
A. Sin is a condition, not something we do.
Romans 3: 23 for all have sinned and fallen short of the glory of God.
- Missing the Mark
- Going off the path God has for us
- Falling Short
Sin knows no limits and cannot be repulsive enough
B. Wage for sin is separation from God
Romans 6: 23 for the wages of sin is death
We wander through life apart from God. We have no compass point to know what is right.
Hell is the place of eternal separation from God, not just a place of fire and flames.
Hell is what sinners want because sin is a rejection of God and a desire to live our own lives. Hell is the embodiment of that for it is eternal separation from the presence of God.
2. Blood is the answer
Hebrews 9: 22 In fact, the law requires that nearly everything be cleansed with blood, and without the shedding of blood there is no forgiveness.
Blood is required to forgive sin because God set the standard of the requirement
1 Peter 1: 18 – 19 For you know that it was not with perishable things such as silver or gold that you were redeemed from the empty way of life handed down to you from your forefathers, 19 but with the precious blood of Christ, a lamb without blemish or defect.
Blood as an answer for sin is throughout the bible.
- Genesis 3: 21 clothing made but blood shed to cover sin
- Genesis 4: 2 – 6 Cain’s offering refused because it did not contain blood.
- Exodus 12 blood of a pure lamb put on door posts so the angel of death would pass over
- John 1: 29 Jesus introduced as the lamb of God
- Lamb before the throne Revelation 22: 1 – 5
KEY POINT: without blood there is no forgiveness of sin
3. Why is the blood of Jesus so powerful?
Leviticus 17: 11 For the life of a creature is in the blood.
1. Blood of a ram, goat, bull could not cleanse the conscience of a person
2. Blood of a man defiles the land. It is more powerful than an animal
3. Jesus blood is the blood of God