Revelation Chapter 7
What we have seen is the opening of the first six seals on the scroll that only Jesus can open. We suspect that this covers 3 1/2 years of time. The sixth seal ended with such disasters happening that people are running asking for mountains to come and fall on them.
- The people finally recognize that something unique is happening.
- We are called to recognize that these events are always happening, but getting moreintense and frequent.
What we have here is an interlude between the opening of the sixth and seventh seal
This is a common occurrence in Revelation. We will be shown something and then we will have a break as God takes some time and explains in more detail about what we are seeing.
Holding back the winds of judgment. Vs 1 – 3
- Four corners of the earth are more like four points on a compass. The bible is notsaying that the earth is flat.
- Four angels holding back four winds.
- Winds are a force of destruction (See Hosea 13: 15, Zechariah 9: 14, Isaiah 40: 7, 24)
- The winds could also refer to the holding back of the four horsemen of the first four seals.
- These are also the colors of four chariots of Zechariah 6: 1 – 8. Chariots is the word rauch which can be translated wind.
- An angel is told to go out and seal the servants of God.
- seal is like a signet ring that shows authority.
- They will have the name of God on their forehead in some manner (See Revelation14: 1)
- This has happened before (Ezekiel 9: 4 as this was given before judgment wasgiven.)
1. This is closest because so far we have not really seen judgement from God, we
have just seen what happens when God steps back and lets man be man. 4. We are already sealed with the Holy Spirit.
- God the Father has set his seal upon him John 6: 27
- We are sealed with the Holy Spirit as a down payment of our eventual totalredemption. Paul wrote God who also has sealed us and given us the Spirit inour hearts as a guarantee 2 Corinthians 1: 21, 22
- Sealing of the Holy Spirit belongs to every believer when they are saved: havingbelieved you were sealed with the Holy Spirit of promise Ephesians 1: 13
- Challenge of the seal
- Nevertheless the foundation of God stands, having this seal:”The Lord knows those who are His, and Let everyone who names the name of Christ depart from iniquity. 2 Timothy 2: 19
- Do not grieve the Holy Spirit of God by whom you were sealed for the day of redemption Ephesians 4: 30
The Number of Those Sealed 4 – 8 1. Who are they?
1. Not the Jehovah Witnesses
- Jewish people who are from the tribes of Israel Vs 4 (Remember the focus of the tribulation is what is happening in and around Israel.)
- Picked from every tribe that only God would know today.
- They are virgin people
2. ‘Could be the fulfillment of Romans 11: 26 All Israel be saved
- If this is right the numbers are symbolic
- The virginity has to do with commitment to Jesus.
- Great Multitude Vs 9, 10
- Another great crowd joins the celebration that is in heaven.
- Join this crowd with the crowd in chapters 4, 5 and we see a celebration
- EXAMPLE: 107 billion people have lived on the face of the earth. If just 10% of themcame to faith 10.7 billion people worshipping God.
- Facts about this crowd.
- Very ethnic as every tribe and people. (Sign of the end times. Every people will hear the gospel Matthew 24: 14)
- Standing in front of the throne. (We are seated with Christ in heavenly realms. Ephesians 2: 6)
- Clothed in white robes
- We are clothed in righteousness. Isaiah 61: 10
- Priest wear these robes psalm 132: 9 Made a kingdom of priests 1 Peter 2: 9
- Palm branches given
- Signs of victory
- Not given to those who have not obtained the victory
- Song of the Multitude. 10 – 12
- In Jerusalem the crowd held palm branches and yelled Hosanna which means SaveNow
- Now they are yelling Salvation Comes from God and the Lamb
- Angels join in the celebration
- Angels joined the celebration about salvation in Revelation 5
- Remember angels celebrated the creation because they don’t understand salvation,but they have no problem worshipping God when they see the results of this greatsalvation.
- SIDE NOTE: Why would someone that is not in relationship with Jesus enjoy this?They don’t want to be in heaven. Heaven is being with Jesus and in front of him. It doesn’t matter if there is football, fishing, mansions, streets of gold, or anything else besides this. That is why it is my desire to get to know him better in this area. This is what eternity is.
- Who is this great multitude? 13, 14
- Almost as if the elder has anticipated the next question.
- They came out of the great tribulation.
- The word “THE” is emphatic which means the great tribulation for this multitude.
- May not all be martyrs which died for their faith. They may be but not necessarily
- They may be the ones who came through their great time of testing. Overcomers. whatabout the word died? They die to their own passions and desires.
- Their reward for their lives. Vs 15 – 17
- They serve (worship him) because they are priests.
- Shekinah glory will protect them as it did in the wilderness.
- They will be spiritually whole with no more needs. Isaiah 49: 10
- Jesus be our shepherd Psalm 23 go from a picture of Niagara Falls to seeing it live.