Romans 12: 1, 2
- Don’t conform
- Be transformed (Metamorphosis of a caterpillar into a butterfly)
- Reflect Jesus in this world
- Humility needed (Thorn in the flesh (2 Corinthians 12: 7 – 9)
QUESTION: HOW DOES LEARNING ABOUT SPIRITUAL GIFTS HELP IN A WORLD IN CHAOS?
1. Don’t Conform
Daniel 1: 4 The young men called were everything that the world tells us is important. Good looking, strong, healthy, learned, and smart.
Pressure to change.
Daniel – God is my judge – Belteshazzar Balatsu-usur (“Protect his life!”)
Hananiah – God is Gracious Shadrach “(the command of Aku” a name for the Babylonian moon god)
Mishael – Who is what god is Meshach (Who is what Aku is?)
Azariah – Yahweh has helped Abednego( servant of Nego,)
Name changes didn’t raise their ire, but when they were called to defile themselves by eating food that Levitical practice forbade, they made a stand.
Daniel 1: 8 I won’t defile myself.
Pressure to conform was removed for three years.
3. Reflect Jesus
During three years of silence, they are building their relationship with Jesus.
When Crisis happens, it is too late to build that relationship.
The thorns in the flesh were intense for these young men.
- Bow down in front of an idol or face the furnace
- Standing in front of the king with a message from God to humble himself
- Ordered to stop praying or go to a lions den at the age of 80
Result? Two kings who ruled the earth acknowledged Jehovah was God.
4. Faith to believe in God.
Do we believe God can bring about the same changes in our lives?
Psalm 78: 41 They turned back and tested God’s patience and limited the Holy One of Israel
Ephesians 3: 20 God is able to do exceedingly more than we ask.