This Psalm inspired Martin Luther a Mighty Fortress is our God.
this Psalm was not written by David. It was written during the reign of King Hezekiah during the invasion of Assyria. (See 2 Kings 18, 19, 2 Chronicles 32)
1. God is a help in Chaos Vs 1 – 3
this Psalm does not tell us how things are going to work out, but it does challenge us to put our trust in God
2. In the midst of Chaos, there is a River Vs 4, 5
When the bible talks about a river it is usually symbolic of the Holy Spirit.
Isaiah 33: 21 The LORD will be our Mighty One. He will be like a wide river of protection that no enemy can cross that no enemy ship can sail upon.
The river is to come out of His holy people to bring healing and deliverance.
3. The world is in Chaos and the Lord of Hosts is with us.
Lord of Hosts is the word Jehovah Sabaoth the commander of the Armies of Heaven
- Shown in Joshua 5: 13 – 15
- To see the Lord of Hosts, Israel had to do three things
- Cross the Jordan which is faith to believe in God (See Hebrews 3)
- Circumcision which is cutting away the flesh by the spirit of God.
- Passover which is admitting our need for the blood of Jesus
- Then we will see our Jericho fall
4. Glorious works of Jehovah Sabaoth
Vs8 – 10
He will fight against the enemy until they are totally defeated.
Vs 11 Be still and know
Quiet ourselves so we can hear what God is doing in the world.
Colossians 3: 1 – 4 If then you were raised with Christ, seek those things which are above, where Christ is, sitting at the right hand of God. 2 Set your mind on things above, not on things on the earth. 3 For you died, and your life is hidden with Christ in God. 4 When Christ who is our life appears, then you also will appear with Him in glory.
Key Point: The Lord of Heavens Armies is here among us.