Jesus is taking his disciples to a mountain top to show himself to them.
- Vision = Divine communication
- Hezekiah was able to minister to those around him who were overwhelmed by fear with words of encouragement!
- Need to awake from our slumber to hear from Jesus
- To combat the manifestation of hell that is in the world, we are going to need a manifestation of heaven
1. What a vision looks like
- Call someone when they come to mind
- Pray with and for someone even if woken up
- Give when prompted
- Open your life to widows and orphans in their distress for this is perfect religion.
- Quick obedience to what we know we are to do.
God working through us to accomplish what he wants to do. No real reason for pride in this because it is just the Holy Spirit working in and through us.
EXAMPLE: axe cut down 20,000 trees it can be tossed aside and never do anything again so why boast.
2. Vision is a growing process.
Matthew 16: 16 You are the Christ the son of the living God.
Vs 17 Blessed are you Simon Peter because my Father in heaven has revealed this to you. You did not learn this from any human being.
Next week is the transfiguration where another revelation of Jesus comes to them. and a voice from heaven, LISTEN TO MY SON.
There is always more to learn and we can continue to grow in it if we listen to the message of the son.
3. Cross between the two Visions.
Vs 21 From then on Jesus began to tell his disciples plainly that it was necessary for him to go to Jerusalem and suffer many terrible things at the hands of the elders…He would be killed, but on the third day he would be raised from the dead.
Now that you have learned to have a revelation, you have to know about the cross. THIS IS THE TRUE MESSAGE OF MY SON AND PURPOSE OF HIS COMING TO EARTH.
This stops an arrogance from coming into our lives and helps us remember we are just an axe
4. Peter stumbles at the cross.
- Peter rebukes Jesus and is called satan
- Peter attacks those coming to arrest Jesus with a sword.
- Go out in a blaze of glory
- Harder to deal with our failures and keep going through them all.
- Hezekiah being criticized by the enemy.
If we are going to fight the enemy, we are going to have to fight it on Jesus ground instead of the enemies ground.
EXAMPLE Enemy hard to defeat on home ground. Civil War and Gettysburg.
Demon on the side of the mountain and if we try to fight it on our ground, we will be destroyed.
This is not a battle of power against power, but weakness against power.
EXAMPLE: Peter against enemy with a sword, Jesus with presence and they all fell down at his feet.
5. Fighting on the enemies ground.
Galatians 5: 19, 20
- quarreling disciples fighting with Pharisees when the boy is possessed. Jesus accused of not being the Messiah because from Nazareth rather than Bethlehem.
- selfish ambitions Come to do the work of my Father not my will.
- envy God uses someone else and we are jealous
- divisions Always trying to get people on our side in an argument.
- Sexual immorality
- Love Jesus washing feet of those who would deny and betray him.
- Peace quiet contentment
- Patience that God’s promises would come forth
- Kindness to those who are not deserving of it. NOT BEING A DOORMAT, BUT COMING FORTH INTO BATTLE WITH DIFFERENT ATTITUDES.!
- Self control
Vs 24 Those who belong to Christ Jesus have nailed the passions and desires of their sinful nature to his cross and crucified them there.
Peter stumbled twice at the message of the cross and we do too.
How can I live like this? Is it even possible?
Eyes that look are common, but eyes that see are rare
Pharisees saw Peter as an unschooled fisherman, Jesus saw prophet, preacher leader who would help turn the world upside down.