1. The Trial
Acts 26 tells the story of a trial of Paul
Three people involved
- Festus a Roman who would be int he place of Pilate
- Herod Agrippa II
- Paul a man beaten up and in chains.
three reactions to the Resurrection of Jesus.
Listened as Paul stated that
- He heard a voice from heaven speaking to him through a bright light. Vs 13 – 15
- Turn people from darkness and satan Vs 18
- Forgiveness of sins (love of God)
- Resurrection of Jesus from the dead Vs 23 got the reaction
You are mad and out of your mind.
Believe what you want about Love, forgiveness or satan, but resurrection is a different topic because if it is true, then everything in the bible is true. This is what will get a rise out of people.
Could speak to the proofs of the resurrection, but a mind that doesn’t want to believe or consider the possibility of a resurrection
Acts 26: 8 Why is it judged unbelievable by you all if God raises the dead?
Believe it could happen.
Paul turns to Herod and stated his belief in a resurrection. Vs 26, 27
Jewish people believe in the resurrection.
- Martha at Lazarus tomb I know he will live again on the last day John 11: 24
- I am the God of Abraham, the God of Isaac, the God of Jacob I am not the God of the dead, but of the living. Matthew 22: 32
- Job had 7 sons and 3 daughters, 7,000 sheep 3,000 camels and 500 yoke of oxen and 500 donkeys. (job 1: 2,3) 14,000 sheep, 6,000 camels, a thousand yoke of oxen, and a thousand she donkeys. seven sons and three daughters. why didn’t they double. They were still alive.
Herod you know about the resurrection You believe the prophets.
Reaction Do you think that I would change this fast because of what you are sharing? Vs 28
Know about it but not enough to change any behavior.
Paul, fast or slow, I wish everyone was like me except for these chains. Vs29
Like Paul in chains. Always situations in our lives that will stand against our belief and try to derail it.
I am chained but the gospel is not chained.
Resurrection must make a difference in how we live.
- Lively hope because of the resurrection 1 Peter 1: 3
- Living hope not knock on wood or the sun will come out tomorrow
- living and powerful full of vigor.
- Anchor for our lives
- Sharon times I am shocked, but never shaken.
- Death no longer has dominion over us Romans 6: 9
- Influence or power.
- Fear of death destroyed because of the resurrection.
- Raised to bring forth fruit Romans 7: 4
- Know by our fruit not our gifts
- Character change of love joy peace patience kindness goodness gentleness faithfulness and self control.
- No longer trust in self but in God which raises the dead 2 Corinthians 1: 9
- No will power to change but admitting I need his power to change in my life.
- Don’t live for self but in God who died and was raised 2 Corinthians 5: 15
- Living for God even if it means chains.
5 The Festus and Herod reaction
They got up and left the room. Vs 30
If you were a betting man on who would be the power that would conquer the wold who would you bet on? The ruler of Rome? The Ruler of Israel, or a prisoner who is in chains and has assassins after him. As one person said today we name our dogs Nero and our children Paul.
Outside it doesn’t look like resurrection is that powerful or life changing.
Only 5 humans saw the empty tomb that we know of. later 500 saw Jesus, but for something this life changing, it started pretty insignificant someday it will rule the world.
Raised because of our need for righteousness. Romans 4: 25
Need to know the power of this resurrection. Philippians 3: 10