Ephesians 4: 11, 12
1. Reason for Jesus Giving Us Gifts
The purpose of meeting together as the church is not to evangelize the world, but to equip you to do the work God requires of you and to build you up so you can accomplish that work
Equip = Complete furnishing. (So your house would not be lacking any part or appliance)
Work= That which occupies our time, hands, industry, mind.
The things we think about, do, and create would be complete.
2. Gifts Given
There are a couple of lists int he Bible
Ephesians 4: 12
- Apostles = someone who starts something new
- Prophets = proclaim something to someone to build up and encourage them
- Evangelists = those who share Christ
- Pastor and teacher = those who shepherd and teach others.
1 Corinthians 12: 27
- Apostles, prophets, teachers
- Those who do miracles
- Gifts of healing
- Gift of leadership
- Those who speak in unknown languages.
When the church moves in these Jesus given gifts, we will be able to do the work God intends for us and not be missing any furniture that is needed.
1 Corinthians 12: 31 We don’t all have the same spiritual gift, but we are to eagerly desire them.
3. Getting the Gifts
1. They are gifts so we can’t earn them or deserve them or take them upon ourselves.
2. They can be imparted by the laying on of hands
2 Timothy 1: 6 I remind you to fan into flames the spiritual gift God gave you when I laid my hands on you.
God gave it but it came throught he laying on of hands from Paul
3. Eagerly desire and ask for them.
4. Given in Measure
Ephesians 4: 7 given according to the generosity of Christ.
Generosity = Measure or rod used to measure.
Just because someone who has a gift lays hands on you doesn’t mean that you will move in that gift the same way.
Problems can happen int he church when we are:
- Jealous of other peoples giftings
- Take on spiritual gifts for ourselves. (In acts the gifts were always recognized by other people. People did not just call themselves Apostles)
- When we begin to move in a gift in a growing way we are recognized as being that person. EXAMPLE: someone who is great at evangelism may be called an evangelists.
5. Moving in Your Gifting
Evangelist are not someone who comes to HTC and ministers to us. We bring Evangelists into our church to stir up the gift of evangelism in people of HTC
Ephesians 4: 12 His work (Work of Ministry King James Version)
Work is what we think or use our hands for.
We are to use our hands and minds (giftings) to raise up Ministry
Ministry = Office of Moses, office of an apostle, evangelists, elders, those who administer charity and distribute love.
KEY POINT: Gifts of the church are to be used to raise up more gifts in the church.
Paul to Timothy, stir up the gift in you.
6. Don’t Just See
Story in the Bible of Moses who was allowed to see the promised land but not enter it. I don’t want to see what God is doing, I want to move in all that God has for me.