1 John 5
John started this letter saying he has a message from God for us. More than just saying God is telling me something, he saw an open heaven and was there. You can read about his experiences in the book of Revelation.
Message is we can know God and by knowing Him, we can live different and affect the world around us. If we don’t live different, do we really know God?
1. Child of God 1 John 5: 1
Do we know what it means to be a child of God?
EXAMPLE: Prince Williams full name is Prince William Windsor His Royal Highness Prince William Arthur Philip Louis, Duke of Cambridge, Earl of Strathearn, Baron Carrickfergus, Royal Knight Companion of the Most Noble Order of the Garter This is his official name because he can call Prince Charles Dad.
- We cannot believe in Jesus without loving the Father and His children 1: – 2a
- We cannot love the Father without obeying His command and overcoming the world 2b – 4a
- We cannot overcome the world without believing in Jesus Christ 4b – 5
We have a different spirit in us because of Jesus and we can obey God’s command, overcome the world , and live differently in this world.
Vs 6 – 13
- We believe a testimony of a person in a trial Vs 9
- We have the testimony of God Vs 9
- We can know in our hearts Vs 10
- Those who don’t have this relationship cannot know God Vs 10
- the testimony from God is that we have eternal life in His son Vs 11 The word for Eternal life is (Aonios) which means the age to come has broken into our age.
- Message from God at the beginning God is light (1: 5) and that light shows us we can know we have eternal life.
2. Live Different For Others
We are not to become preoccupied with ourselves at the neglect of others.
Vs 14, 15 We can have answers to prayer but the focus in on what we pray for.
Vs 16 We pray for the help of others who are struggling.
- God would give that person life
- Sin that leads to death
- This could be a physical death because of the path someone is on. Supporting verses
- 1 Corinthians 11: 29 Many are sick and weak and some have died because of sin
- Jude 22, 23 And you must show mercy to those whose faith is wavering. Rescue others by snatching them from the flames of judgement. Show mercy to still others,but do so with great caution hating the sins that contaminate their lives.
Vs 17 we are not superior to them in any way because we are all sinners saved by grace
3. God’s age has come
Vs 18 there are only two options
- God is holding us Vs 18
- Evil one can’t tough us. Vs 18
- Child of God Vs 19
- World in control of Evil one Vs 19
Key Point: We are in a war, but we fight with LOVE
Vs 20 We are in Christ, not just with Him.
This knowledge can be drown out through a different spirit Vs 21