1 Corinthians 13: 4 Love is not jealous or boastful
- Seethe or to boil
- Seeing deficiency
Key Thought Envy will wound others, but it will kill the one whom it is manifesting itself through.
John Dawson called it a handful of nothing
Roots of Jealousy
1. Distorted picture of who God is.
- We feel that God is not fair. He isn’t, but He is just
- We feel God loves others more than He loves me. This is not true.
2. Inflated picture of ourself
Corinthians tells us that love is not jealous and it does not boast. Some will never be jealous because they are so fullof themselves that they are not jealous of anything.
Victory over Jealousy
Psalm 73: 2, 3 But as for me, my feet had almost slipped; I had nearly lost my foothold…. For I envied the arrogant when I saw the prosperity of the wicked.
There are times when jealousy will flare up in our lives, and we have to learn to take these times to Jesus.
- Watch how we talk to each other. Don’t be a braggart.
- Get away from people who are always talking jealousy
Psalm 73: 16, 17 When I tried to understand all this, it was oppressive to me til I entered the sanctuary of God; then I understood their final destiny.
- Go to the Lord in prayer
- Share value of others to our lives.
- Speak blessings on those who you are jealous about.
Psalm 73: 22 I was so foolish and ignorant–I must have seemed like a senseless animal to you