Knew it wasn’t him, it was all God because he was totally broken because of Ziklag
EXAMPLE: War against the Philistines, Vs 20 The Lord did it, He burst through my enemies like a raging flood.
We have been looking at the heart of a Steward
Steward = taking care of someone else’s things and making them the way they want them to be.
- David after God’s heart.
Acts 13: 22 But God removed Saul and replace him with David, a man about whom God said, I have found David son of Jesse, a man after my own heart. He will do everything I want him to do.
After God’s heart = Motions, desires, passions
And to achieve these he will do everything God wishes for him to do.
Imagine God saying this guy knows my heart and what I want.
This is what stewardship is taking care of someone else’s things and making them the way they want them
What was God’s heart?
- Praise God almighty
- Does whatever pleases him
- Struck down all other nations and kings
- Gave this land as an inheritance
- idols with hands that cannot speak eyes cannot see, ears cannot hear.
- Lord be praised he lives here in Jerusalem.
Before he took Jerusalem
First act as king 2 Samuel 5: 6 lead his men to fight against Jerusalem.
blind and lame can keep you out.
Vs 7 never the less David captured the fortress of Zion which is now called the City of David.
Stewardship =god you want Jerusalem. I am going to take it.
3. Turned heart
What is God’s heart today? many things
1. Holy People
2. People coming into relationship with Him
3. Worshippers who worship in spirit and truth
1 Kings 11: 4 Solomon …his heart was not perfect with The Lord his God as was the heart of David his father.
- wives turned his heart away from God
- Ended up worshipping other gods
- Did evil in the sight of God.
4. Jumping hurdles
Proverbs 5: 1 my son pay attention to my words (Hand of God upon him as a weight and talking to things in his heart.
- Vs 3 lips of an immoral woman sweet, but leads to death.
- Vs 7 Listen to me don’t stray away. Don’t go near her house.
- Vs 11 in the end you will say why didn’t I listen to the teachers?
- Vs 16 Don’t just have sex with anyone rejoice in the wife of your youth
- Vs 21 Lord sees what a man does.
One area of compromise.
2 Chronicles 8: 11Solomon moved his wife, Pharaoh’s daughter from the city of David to the new palace he had built for her. He said, “My wife must not live in King David’s palace for the Ark of The Lord has been there, and it is holy ground.
New her presence would grieve God, but no problem marrying her.
You will ignore the word of the teachers
Ecclesiastes 1: 1 These are the words of the Teacher.
5. Acknowledge the hurdles in our lives.
SIN IS NOT A TRIVIAL MATTER, THERE ARE CONSEQUENCES.
EXAMPLE: Jonah went to Ninevah but had to go through a storm, and eaten by a fish.
There are consequences for jumping hurdles.
- Bad spending of our money and now in debt and can’t give to God
- Bad relationship and now consequences
- Diet gained a few pounds and whatever forget it and let ourselves go.
God has got a plan to give us his heart and put us in a place that is pleasing to him
Revelation 13: 8 The lamb who was slaughtered before the world was made.
God had a plan to help you in the midst of our rebellion and failure.
- STOP – everyday down a path is another one we cannot get back. Got to quit doing these things.
- ACKNOWLEDGE – Maybe a job I should not have taken, maybe it is a relationship I have gotten into, maybe outright knowing what to do and not doing it.
- REPENT – Turn from a lifestyle and follow Jesus. Not just what we turn from, but who we turn to.
David after his sin with Bathsheba, Matthew would not even mention her name Uriah’s wife.
Create in me a clean heart Oh God and renew a right spirit within me.
Life Group Questions:
1. What does it mean to be a man after God’s own heart?
2. What are some things that could be on God’s heart today?
3.We can’t all be consumed about every one of them, but we have to be people that seek God and want to know what he wants from us today. The problem with that is we grow cold and indifferent to what God wants in our heart.
4. Read Luke 21: 34 – 36 What are things that can make our hearts grow cold toward God’s heart? (Mention that it looks like worry is not a small thing to God)
5. Read Luke 12: 13 – 21 What made this man a fool? (He was not rich in his relationship with God.)
6. God puts hurdles up in our lives to keep us from heading down a path that will destroy us. The problem is we ignore those hurdles.
7. Solomon was warned about the consequences of marrying other women in Proverbs 5. He ignored those warnings.
8. God is not responsible for us he is responsible to us. He is not responsible for our actions, but he takes responsibility to warn us and try and stop the direction in which we will Go. How can this apply to us and our families?(EXAMPLE: Marriages, raising children)
9. What are the steps to take when we are running into hurdles? (Stop, Acknowledge, Repent)
10. End with the fact that it is never too late to find our what God’s will is and turn back to it.