We will not take Jesus to the streets until we are secure in our relationship with Him
- He has covered us
- His presence is between us and our enemies
- He sent others to encourage us in our walk.
The more we understand these things, the more we turn from worshipping a cardboard Jesus to serving the living God who is worthy of all praise.
EXAMPLE: looking at a light bulb and staring at a fire. It keeps changing.
Ephesians has a theme about how we are to live
- Live a life worthy of your calling. 4: 1
- Don’t live like Gentiles 4: 17
- Imitate God 5: 1
- Follow the example of Christ 5: 2
- Determine what pleases The Lord 5: 10
- Be careful how you live 5: 15
- Make the most of every opportunity in these evil days.5: 16
IT IS NOT AN ACCIDENT THAT YOU ARE LIVING IN THE DAYS YOU ARE LIVING, AND THERE IS A PURPOSE FOR US IN THESE DAYS.
2. PLEASING AROMA
Ephesians 5: 2 follow the example of Christ. He loved us and offered himself as a sacrifice for us, a pleasing aroma to God.
Timing of this is important because Paul just shared about how to deal with bitterness, anger, and harsh words now he says follow Christ example.
John 13: 31 Judas just went away to betray Jesus and the next message, it is time for God to get glory.
Judas betraying Jesus was not enough to derail Jesus from fulfilling His mission.
2 Corinthians 2: 5 – 13 describes a battle in the church with sin and spiritual attacks from satan trying to discourage the believers.
Vs 14 – 16 We are the aroma.
We do not carry it by our words, we are the aroma.
- we don’t just share the truth of the bible with others.
- We are the truth lived out in front of others.2 Corinthians 3: 3 You are a letter from Christ.
3. AROMA OF DEATH AND LIFE
HISTORY: Parade of victory. Sacrifices and feasting caused a smell to arise which meant one of two things. To the victors, it meant a celebration, to the defeated, it meant their death.
Every encounter we have with others, they will leave changed. We will either bring them closer to an encounter with Jesus, or they will reject it and become harder to the gospel.
- Pharaoh and his encounters with Moses. He hardened his heart.
- in Ephesus 1 Corinthians 16: 8, 9 wide open door for a great work here, although many oppose me.
4. WORTHY OF SUCH A TASK
Vs 16 who can live up to such a task?
5: 5 It is not that we think we are qualified to do anything on our own. Our qualification comes from God.
EXAMPLE: Moses and glowing face that faded as the glory of God faded from his face, We are under a new Covenant and rather than our glory fading, we are becoming more and more like Jesus
3: 18 we are changed into His glorious image.
Not going to want to imitate a cardboard Jesus, but when I realize I can live as he lived here on earth, then things are different.
We have made it into a trite phrase WWJD. Who is God and can I be him in this world?
5. LIGHT IN DARKNESS
2 Corinthians 4: 1 We live in God’s mercy so we never give up
I am going to change and really do something for God
No you aren’t. We are going to fall and fail. Paul even said when he came to Corinth, he came with fear and trembling.
Need Holy Spirit to empower us.
Why Paul stated in Ephesians after he challenged us to make the most of all our opportunities, Be filled with the Spirit of God.
- What kind of will power will make napkins laid on us heal others
- What kind of will power will cause those who want to chase out a demon have the demon turn on them.
- What kind of will power cause a city consumed with witchcraft to want to dump it all and burn it.
- What kind of will power to be an aroma everywhere we go?
From the sanctuary (place of security in who we are in Jesus) to the streets. (place gospel has an effect on others)
2 Corinthians 4: 13 We preach because we have the same kind of faith as the psalmist when he said, “I believe in God (sanctuary) so i spoke (street)