The Gray Area
Navigating the Undefined
You can text Questions to
- The problem.
There was an article in Christianity Today by a leading editor called “The Scandal of the Public Evangelical”
1. looking at people who fail. Christian Celebrity marriages, Miss America christian nude pictures of her came out. Look at ourselves and say there is not a lot of good there. Thank God for Grace which covers all of that.
2. No real physical change between us and those who don’t know Jesus, just an misunderstanding of Grace
3. People failing is proof that holiness is unattainable.
4. Book out a few years ago, Love wins, which taught as a theme, everyone will one day go to heaven as God’s love wins everyone over no matter how you live.
5. Not a new teaching, Luther challenged his followers to go out and sin once a year to show the incredible power of grace.
2. Our legal standing before God.
If we understand this we will be set free, a misunderstanding will ruin us. (See 1 Timothy 1: 19 holding onto faith and a good conscience. Some have rejected these and so have shipwrecked their faith.)
Verses on who we are in Jesus because of his death on the cross.
- We are saved by grace not by works Ephesians 2: 8, 9
- While we were still sinners Christ died for us Romans 5: 6 – 8
- We are no longer sinners but saints in God’s sight 1 Corinthians 1: 2
- God’s love for us is not based on our performance Romans 5: 9, 10
- We are now sons and daughters of God joint heirs with Jesus Romans 8: 15 – 17
IF WE SEE OURSELVES AS GOD SEES US, WE WILL BE TRANSFORMED.
3. Our Living Condition before God and others.
Even though my legal standing before God is perfection, I fall short in my everyday life.
EXAMPLE: Perfect before the father, but I am not perfect before my family
Question, How do I know where I fall short? Law.
Romans 3: 19, 20 Through the law we become conscious of sin. No one can ever become right before God by doing what the law commands. The law simply shows us how sinful we are.
THE LAW ACCUSES AND CRITICIZES WITHOUT OFFERING ANY HELP. (See Colossians 2: 16, 17, 20 – 23 do not handle do not taste do not touch. These promote rigor or devotion, but can’t do anything about stopping our evil desires.)
4. We are still called to live the moral law.
Fine line, if we are set free from the law and under grace, why does it even matter how we live?
Galatians 5: 13, For you have been called to live in freedom, my brothers and sisters. But don’t use your freedom to satisfy your sinful nature….
Romans 6: 1, 2a Well then, should we keep on sinning so that God can show us more and more of His wonderful grace? Of Course not.
Romans 6: 14, 15 Sin is no longer your master, for you no longer live under the requirements of the law. Instead you live under the freedom of God’s grace. Well then, since God’s grace has set us free from the law, does that mean we can go on sinning? Of course not!
Jude 4 ungodly people have wormed their way into your churches saying that God’s marvelous grace allows us to live immoral lives.
There has to be a difference in the way those that believe in Jesus and those who do not have any relationship with Him.
5. Fall Short in Our Calling
Paul I strive so I do not Fall short of calling that Jesus has called me to 1 Corinthians 9: 27
Must shine out like stars in this wicked depraved generation Philippians 2: 14 – 16
Lose a full experience of what salvation is all about 1 Peter 2: 1 – 3
Special utensil made for honorable use. 2 Timothy 2: 21
Repentance is for the church not just unbelievers
Revelation 2, 3 Red Letters from Jesus.
- 2: 4 Repent or lose your place,
- 2: 16 come at them with the sword.
- 2: 21 gave time to repent,
- 3: 3Repent and wake up,
- 3: 19 those I love, I rebuke and discipline. So be earnest and repent.
1Peter 2: 11, 12 As temporary residents and foreigners keep away from worldly desires that wage war against your very souls.
We are not of this earth trying to reach heaven, we are citizens of heaven navigating life through this earth.
Present members of our bodies to Jesus. Romans 6: 12, 13a
2 Corinthians 7: 1 Perfecting holiness out of Reverence for God.