Finding God’s will and what we are called to do in the area of bringing restoration to others.
I want to share a couple of things we need to do and then share a couple of traps that can happen as we try to follow God’s will
1. Elijah’s Progressive following
- 1Kings 17: 2 Go to the brook and ravens will bring you food.
- Vs 9 Go live with a widow.
- Go present yourself to Ahab i am going to send rain 1 Kings 18: 1
- Gather all the prophets of Baal and Asherah 1 Kings 18: 19
- Call on the name of your God and I will call of the Lord 1 Kings 18: 22 – 25
- Prove that I have done all of this at your command 1 Kings 18: 36
Progressive unveiling of the will of God as Elijah obeys what he knows to do.
2. Wanting to know the future
Many people error in trying to find out what God’s willis by trying to figure out what things will look like 10 years down the road.
God may reveal what the future will look like, but he does not reveal the path to get there.
- Joseph will have family bow in front of him
- Beat up by brothers
- Made a slave
- Thrown in prison
- David become king
- Ran for his life for 9 years
To find God’s will for our lives, we have to dismiss the fact that we are going to know what tomorrow holds.
3. Living in the Light
John 8: 12 “…I am the light of the world. If you follow me, you won’t have to walk in darkness, because you will have light that leads to life.”
God does not intend for us to walk in darkness, we can walk in the knowledge of knowing what to do.
John 12: 46 “I have come as light to shine in this dark world, so that all who put their trust in me will no longer remain in the dark.”
We can trust that his light is shining in darkness. Thoughts that come into our heads can lead us to know what God has for us.
Circumstances may look bad like Joseph and David but there is a trust that can come.
4. Walking in the Light
2 Peter 1: 19 – 21 Word of God speaks to us so we can know what to do.
If our thoughts don’t line up with the bible then that thought is not from God.
We can’t be living in disobedience of the bible and expect to hear from God.
1 John 1: 7 “But if we walk in the light as He is in the light, we have fellowship with one another and the blood of Jesus Christ His Son cleanses us from all sin.”
Elijah had immediate obedience when he felt God was telling him to do something. Delayed obedience is disobedience.
5. We miss the light.
- Walk in the light that Jesus has opened to us.
- God’s will is that everyone would come to a knowledge of Him (2 Peter 3:9)
- Not conformed to this world (Romans 12:2)
- In everything give thanks (1 Thessalonians 5:18)
- Sometimes suffer for the will of God (1 Peter 4:19)
- Trust in the light.
- Isaiah 50: 10, 11 Trust in God and still walk in confusion and we have to Trust in Him
- Obey word of God, but flesh defines the way we read it.
- John 9: 41 claim to see you are blind.
- Admit we are going to fail because many times we just do what we feel we want to do.
- Felt peace, but that could very well be the peace that comes from making a decision
- EXMPLE: David Wilkerson and dying at age 53 only 3 years left.
- Walk this out with each other, blood of jesus cleanses us from all sin
- Don’t always say God told me to…. I really feel God is leading me.
Destroy Darkness in our lives as we present ourselves again to Him