Jesus Christ is the one who brings restoration.
Micah 6: 8 “What does the Lord require of you: to do what is right, to love mercy and to walk humbly with your God.”
What does it look like to walk humbly with our God?
- The Netzer
There is a Hebrew word Netzer which means branch or sprout.
Isaiah 11: 1 “Out of the stump of David’s family will grow a shoot (Netzer) yes a new branch bearing fruit from the old root.”
EXAMPLE: Olive tree not like ours because the branch literally comes up from the roots rather than a branch from a trunk
- From roots come up many branches
- Farmer will cut off most but will take strongest and transplant it where it can grow into another olive tree.
Jesus is the Netzer (branch) that has grown out of the line David or a descendent of David.
Netzer is also the root for the word Nazareth
Matthew 2: 23 “Jesus will be called a Nazarene”
Not only will my son be a Netzer, he will come from Netzer.
EXAMPLE: person from New York would be called a New Yorker.
2. Humility of Nazareth.
Lining up with the town of Nazareth has connotations because it is not known as the best place to be from.
- Nathaniel when found by Phillip “We found the very one Moses and the prophets spoke about, Jesus son of Joseph from Nazareth. Can anything good come from Nazareth?” John 1: 45, 46
- Contempt Pharisees This Jesus of Nazareth…Acts 6: 14
- Pilate put this name on the cross when he had Jesus crucified. “Jesus of Nazareth, King of the Jews” John 19: 19
Jesus was not a branch that a farmer would normally choose as a strong one to transplant.
No longer just from Nazareth, but called a Nazarene. Everything about Jesus was humility while he was here on earth.
3. We are the Notzri
Walking humbly with our God is identifying with who he was.
Acts 24: 5 Christians called Nazarenes (As an insult), but now something powerful is happening as we are grafted into Jesus Christ.
We are grafted into as a wild olive branch.
Romans 11: 17
- It is in our nature to be wild and rage against God barren, unfruitful, living in gross ignorance, profane, without hope, morally religious.
- When we were decaying, we were grafted in
- Not only brought fruit, but the decay started to revive.
- Rich nourishment or fatness that is our through Jesus Christ.
4. Fatness of Being a Nazarene
Isaiah 10: 27 anointing will break the yoke
Identifying and walking with our God is acknowledging that we are also Nazarene. Not much there, but we have been grafted into the one who has overcome.
Angel at the tomb “You are looking for Jesus the Nazarene who was crucified, He isn’t here, he is risen” Mark 16: 6
In power revealing himself to Paul “I am Jesus the Nazarene whom you are persecuting” Acts 22: 8
Walking with our God? Walking with the gospel of peace.
Ephesians 6: 15 gospel of peace
Shalom = peace
shin = to consume or destroy
lamed = authority (first two letters talk about destroying authority
vav = to connect
mem = chaos
you destroy the authority that is connected to chaos. RESTORATION
Anointing isn’t pacifism, but destroying those things which bring chaos to the world.
- Acts 3: 6 Healing done in the name of Jesus of Nazareth
- Mark 1: 24 Demons why are you interfering with us Jesus of Nazareth?
Though arrogance we can be broken off like the Jewish people were.
You are nothing but a Nazarite and don’t forget it, but grafted in remember who you are.