We continue to look at emotions
We want to look at the emotion of worry today which is almost a cousin of the emotion of fear.
- Importance of Trusting
The emotions are not just something we can put up with or that’s just so and so. These are serious things we need to be able to deal with in our lives.
- Mark 4: 18, 19 The seed that fell among the thorns represents others who hear God’s word, but all too quickly the message is crowded out by the worries of this life. the lure of wealth and the desire for other things so no fruit is produced. We know that those branches that don’t produce fruit are destroyed.
- Jude 5 So I want to remind you though you already know these things that Jesus first rescued the nation of Israel from Egypt, but later he destroyed those who did not remain faithful (quit trusting)
- Matthew 5: 31 So don’t worry about these things, saying What will we eat? What will we drink? What will we wear? these things dominate the thoughts of unbelievers.
A worrying mindset is compared to
- An unbelieving mind
- A people who will have God against them
- A people who will have anything God is trying to do in their lives choked out.
2. God the liar
1 John 5: 10 All who believe in the Son of God know in their hearts that this testimony is true. Those who don’t believe this are actually calling God a liar because they don’t believe what God has testified about His Son.
- God who cannot lie, promised life eternal before the world began Titus 1: 2
- Hebrews 6: 18 it is impossible for God to lie…and we can lay hold of the hope in front of us.
Today God says to us clearly, “I can and I will.” Yet how do we respond to His Word? We immediately question Him! “Can God do it? Will He do it?”
EXAMPLE: why does the sun come up tomorrow?”I will never again destroy all living things. As long as the earth remains there will be planting and harvest cold and heat, summer and winter, day and night.
Promises backed by the honor of your name Psalm 138: 2
3.Walking it Out
“But without faith it is impossible to please him: for he that comes to God must believe that he is, and that he is a rewarder of them that diligently seek him” (Hebrews 11:6)
EXAMPLE hear all the sermons on trust and God not being a liar, but not mixed with faith then worthless.
“… but the word preached did not profit them, not being mixed with faith in them that heard it” (Hebrews 4:2)
- Lay hold upon every worry, fear and burden. Take them all to Jesus – and leave them on His shoulders! “Casting all your care upon him; for he cares for you” (1 Peter 5:7)
- And He urges us, “Lay it all on Me!” “Cast thy burden upon the Lord, and he will sustain you: he will never let the righteous to be moved” (Psalm 55:22)
When we don’t trust we are moved to try and get things in our own power.
EXAMPLE: God and waiting for a spouse. We get weary and take the matter into our own hands. We try to trap and be deceitful in how we obtain this person. You may get your spouse, but you will pay a heavy price.
I don’t want to bother God, He wants to be bothered.
3. Launch out in full faith on the written Word of God. Take up the Lord’s challenge to live by His Word! “Man shall not live by bread alone, but by every word that proceeds out of the mouth of God” (Matthew 4:4)
4. Now unto him that is able to keep you from falling, and to present you faultless before the presence of his glory with exceeding joy” (Jude 24)