1. Gifts given
Ephesians 4: 11 – 13 Context is Jesus coming out of hell in totally victory and he is giving gifts to his church.
Christ gives the gifts so it is not Jesus but God
All of these oversee a flow in the church that is needed
The evangelists oversees conversion
The teacher disciples
The pastor makes sure the body is healthy shepherds
The Apostle plants new churches and moves out into the darkness
The Prophet corrects and edifies the church.
Prophet mentioned 228 singular and 230 plural 458 times
2. Eagerly Desire
Joel 2: 28 “Your sons and daughters shall prophesy your old men shall dream dreams, your young men shall see visions This verse is quoted again in acts Acts 2: 17, 18
1 Corinthians 14: 1 Follow the way of love and eagerly desire spiritual gifts, but especially the gift of prophecy.
Do all the things I talked about in 1 Corinthians 13, but also desire the spiritual gifts as you follow love.
Many of us don’t eagerly desire the spiritual gifts. We approach them like if it happens it happens.
This wasn’t a suggestion
It was a command to eagerly desire the gift
3. Prophecy Vs Prophet
- Many don’t want this gift because there is the risk of having to step out in faith and trust the usage of this gift.
- worst we can do is lose our reputation
- Must use gifts according to our faith
- Wacky Prophetic that never comes true
- Always that risk
- Matthew 7 15, 16 by their fruit you will know them
- Isaiah 50: 4 give us an instructed tongue so I know how to comfort the weary
- Prophecy and being a prophet are different.
- I don’t start a service saying I am going to Pastor you now.
- We just move in this gifting
- We don’t need a title to be heard
- Need training how to do this SOKM
4. What does prophetic look like
We exercise the gift of prophesy according to our faith. We do not have to have it all before we start or we do not need the Holy Spirit to carry us along.
We may not even remember what is said because we are lead by the Holy Spirit and not working out of our mind.
Interceding a great part as they cry out to God first about something then they move and share what is on their hearts
Different ways a prophetic word comes through.
The church in a word
To the church in a sermon or teaching (changing of direction or moving to a new level)
A working team
A leadership team
Connection with words of wisdom or words of knowledge
Other gifts of the Spirit (It is a big toolbox for people) Some think they only have one tool. Some feel they only have a hammer and God may want them to use a tweezer.