Time periods of what is happening.
- Seven seals are opened.
- First four took 3/12 years to happen
- They are a sign to people of what happens when God steps back and people get theirworld without God.
- Last three seals are natural disasters that happen upon the earth.
- The last three seals, the seven trumpets, and the seven bowls take 3 1/2 years to fulfill.
- The seventh seal is the start of the seven trumpets
- The first four trumpets are incredible war
- Trumpet #1 1/3 of green grass destroyed
- Trumpet # 2 1/3 of sea destroyed
- Trumpet # 3 1/3 of fresh water destroyed
- Trumpet # 4 1/3 of sun and moon go dark
- Last three trumpets are called the three woes
- Woe #1 Demonic hoard comes out and stings those without the mark of God on them forfive months.
- Woe # 2 A demonic army of 200 million comes down and destroys 1/3 of the people.
- Woe # 3 The end is now here and evil is destroyed.
- A couple of flash backs happen to give us another view of what is happening.
- John is given a scroll and told to prophecy to the nations Chapter 10
- Two witnesses come out and share for 3/12 years Chapter 11
- The woman and the Dragon Chapter 12
- The definition of the beast Chapter 13
Revelation 12 The Woman and the Dragon
1. The great sign or event of great significance. Vs 1
- Different characters that will be introduced in the next two chapters.
- Woman = Israel
- Dragon = satan
- Man-child = Jesus
- Angel Michael = head of heavenly hosts
- Offspring of Woman = Church
- Beast out of sea = antichrist (Chapter 13)
- Beast out of the earth = False prophet (Chapter 13)
- John states clearly that this is a sign so we will not literally see this woman appear on
1. She represents Israel. We know this by Joseph’s dream. (See Genesis 37: 9 – 11)
- Sun Jacob
- Moon Joseph’s mother Rachael
- The eleven stars were the sons of Israel which bowed to Joseph
- He is the twelve star
2. She is about to give birth Vs 2 1. Baby is Jesus (See Verse 5)
3. The Dragon as another significant event. Vs 3
- This dragon is the devil (See Vs 9)
- Red represents his murderous character (See John 8: 44)
- Seven heads with crowns = universal power. Power is presumptuous in nature. No realpower or the facade of power.
- Ten horns = Imagery of Daniel 7.
1. Daniel interprets Nebuchadnezzar’s Dream and the final kingdom in his dream is a revived Roman Empire made of iron and clay. This is that kingdom.
- Ready to devour the newborn child Vs 4
- Swept 1/3 of the angels with him.
- Devour child as soon as it was born.
- Herod killing the children (Matthew 2: 16 – 18)
- Could also be the constant attacks of the Old Testament to try and destroy Israelbefore Jesus is born.
- Child is born Vs 5
- Rules from the beginning.
- The rest of this chapter will show that the woman is Israel and not Mary.
- Swept up to heaven.1. Prince of this world has nothing on me. John 14: 30
- Woman flees tot he wilderness. Vs 6
1. Persecution against Israel during the tribulation
- God has always provided some refuge for his people during times of persecution
- Israel in wilderness by Shekinah glory
- Elijah by the brook Cherith
- Joseph and Mary in Egypt.
- Protection from being exterminated during these 3 1/2 years
- Daniel talks about this 1260 days in Daniel 9
7. War in Heaven Vs 7, 8
1. Highly doubt that this is the original rebellion
1. No fight in that one as satan was cast down like lightening. (See Luke 10: 18)
2. This is another rebellion in the heavens. (One word for heaven could mean one of three places.
1. where God dwells.
3. Visible matter.) This one probably takes place in the area known as space.
1. satan is in control of the earth and a spiritual battle happens for the destruction of
Michael fights satan, not Jesus.
- Michael is defender of Jerusalem (See Daniel 12: 1)
- War also described in Daniel 12: 7
- This battle is probably happening when the antichrist sets himself up as God in thetemple in Jerusalem 3 1/2 years into the tribulation
- War is spiritual in nature, but also physical. satan has no weapons for this battle.
(See Colossians 2: 15)
8. Satan loses Vs 8, 9
1. Cast down from this heavenly realm
- He was the prince of the power of the air. Ephesians 2: 2 2. he does not have access to heaven like in Job
2. He is no longer able to accuse us, but he will work through deception.
1. Four times cast down
1. From glory to profane (Ezekiel 28: 14 – 16)
- From having access to heaven (Job 1; 12, 1 Kings 22: 21, Zechariah 3: 1) to earth
- From earth to the bottomless pit for 1000 years (Revelation 20)
- From the pit to the lake of fire (Revelation 20)
9. Song of Declaration in Heaven 10 – 12
- Song of the redeemed Our brothers and sisters Vs 10
- Salvation = rather than being devoured
- Power = rather than crowns on dragon
- Kingdom of our God = rather than 10 kingdoms of this world.
- We are still being accused in our minds today and need to know who we are in Christ.
1. Overcome satan by:
- Blood of the lamb (Death on the cross)
- Word of our testimony (lives lived out because of that blood)
- Loved not their lives to shrink from death. (love life, but love Jesus more. To liveis Christ to die is gain Philippians 1: 21)
- Heaven rejoice because satan has been cast down.
- Heaven’s gain is earth’s loss. satan knows his time is short after this loss. (31/2 years tobe exact) he is going to rage because of it.
10. War on Earth Vs 13 – 17
1. Attack against Israel like never before
1. Satan has always attacked and hated Israel, but that is going to increase in intensity.
2. God is going to deliver them during this time. (3 1/2 years) 1. Eagle is a symbol of God’s care
- Deuteronomy 32: 10, 11
- Exodus 19: 4
- Isaiah 40: 31
- Satan attacks like a flood
- God again delivers her.
- Battle turns on the Gentiles that are still here.
1. Two things that will always turn the wrath of satan against you.
- Keeping God’s commandments.
- Maintaining their testimony for Jesus.
11. Satan is going to call forth the antichrist as a weapon against the offspring.
- satan lost the battle for their souls, so he is going after their bodies.
- Saw the persecuted saints in Revelation 6: 9 – 11, and Revelation 7: 9 – 17.